About the proposal
We are committed to the protection, conservation and enhancement of all heritage places in Boroondara.
Amendment C394boro proposes to apply a permanent Heritage Overlay to properties in the Mont Iris Estate and Environs Precinct in Glen Iris and Ashburton.
- 127–141 High Street and 152 Summerhill Road, Glen Iris – within the High Street North Precinct
- 2–28 and 1–33 Tower Hill Road, Glen Iris; 2–32 Munro Avenue, Ashburton; 142–146 High Street, Glen Iris; 146A–148 High Street, Ashburton – within the Tower Hill Estate Precinct
- 6–28 and 40–60 Dent Street, Glen Iris – within the Dent Street Precinct
- 7 Fuller Avenue, Glen Iris
- 33 Fuller Avenue, Glen Iris.
Our heritage consultants have identified that these 3 smaller precincts and 2 individual properties within the Mont Iris Estate and Environs Precinct have local heritage significance and are worthy of protection. We need to amend the Boroondara Planning Scheme to apply a Heritage Overlay at these locations.
Why these places are significant
The Victorian Government has a list of recognised criteria we need to use to assess local heritage value. These are included in Planning Practice Note 1 – Applying the Heritage Overlay, which you can find on the Department of Transport and Planning website.
Our heritage consultant found that the the recommended places are of:
- historical significance (all places)
- representative significance (all places)
- aesthetic significance (all places except 7 Fuller Avenue).
You can read the full Independent Review below to learn more about how our heritage consultant decided the above criteria were met for the Mont Iris Estate and Environs.
Amendment C394boro map, Glen Iris and Ashburton
Select a Hotspot below to learn more about each heritage place.
What we heard from the community
During the public exhibition we received 23 submissions including:
- 9 people who supported the proposal
- 3 people who partially supported the proposal
- 11 people who opposed the proposal.