About the proposal
We are committed to the protection, conservation and enhancement of all heritage places in Boroondara.
Amendment C388boro proposes to apply a permanent Heritage Overlay to the properties in the Smythesdale Estate Precinct.
- 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 Carlyle Street, Hawthorn East
- 81, 83, 85, 85A, 87 and 89 Harcourt Street, Hawthorn East.
Our heritage consultants have identified that this precinct has local heritage significance and is worthy of protection. We need to amend the Boroondara Planning Scheme to apply a Heritage Overlay at this location.
About Smythesdale Estate Precinct
The Victorian Government has a list of recognised criteria we need to use to assess local heritage value. These are included in Planning Practice Note 1 – Applying the Heritage Overlay, which you can find on the Department of Transport and Planning website.
Our heritage consultant found that the Smythesdale Estate Precinct is of:
- historical significance
- representative significance
- aesthetic significance (relating to 89 Harcourt Street).
You can read the full Statement of Significance to learn more about how our heritage consultant decided the above criteria were met for the Smythesdale Estate Precinct.
Smythesdale Estate Precinct, Hawthorn East map
Select a Hotspot below to learn more about what each property contributes to the precinct and its heritage grading.
What we heard from the community
We received 24 submissions including:
- 21 people who supported the proposal
- 1 person who partially supported the proposal
- 2 people who opposed the proposal.