We're renewing the playground at Howard Dawson Reserve, located at 320 Burke Road, Glen Iris.
We invited our community to share their thoughts on what they love about the existing playground and what we could improve.
We’ll consider all feedback when developing a draft design to share with you later this year.
About the renewal
We’re planning to renew the playground at Howard Dawson Reserve to:
- create new play experiences for a range of ages and abilities
- improve accessibility
- complement the nearby Gardiners Creek trail.
We’ve prioritised this playground for renewal as some equipment is ageing and some posts in the main timber play structures are starting to rot.
Read more about the ageing play equipment in the question panel on this page.
About the existing playground
The current ‘castle’ themed timber playground was built in 2004. It is located near Gardiners Creek and is much-loved for its variety of play options, including:
- a combination unit with ramps, fire pole, bridge, spiral side and chain net climber
- an activity trail with a balance beam, a climbing wall and pommel steppers
- a junior combination unit with a wave slide, square ladder, crawl tunnel and grid climber
- see saw
- swing sets.
This playground is classified as a district playground in Boroondara's Playground Redevelopment Strategy. For a quick summary of what that means, see the question panel on this page.
Photos of the existing playground
Have your say
We asked our community to help shape our draft design for the new playground, so it meets their needs and the needs of their family.
We invited feedback in these ways:
- Take our short survey
- Share ideas or upload a drawing or photo in the box below
- Attend a drop-in session and speak to Council staff at the playground on:
- Wednesday 14 February from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm.
We encouraged children to participate. They could share their ideas by drawing a picture or completing the survey with help from an adult.
This stage of consultation closed at 5 pm on Monday 26 February 2024.