About the upgrade
We are planning to upgrade the function room building and change room pavilion at Frog Hollow Reserve to create a new facility that better meets the needs of our community.
These buildings are used by sports clubs and community groups, including:
- Trinity Willison Cricket Club
- Riversdale Soccer Club
- Hawthorn U3A
- other casual and ongoing community group bookings.
We have developed a proposed design for a new facility that is accessible, inclusive and has improved functionality. The design also aims to create a better connection between the pavilion and other key features in Frog Hollow Reserve including the oval, playground, parkland, Anniversary Trail and cricket nets.
The proposed design is in line with our Development and Funding of Community Pavilions – Sport and Recreation Policy and our Boroondara Community Plan 2021–2031.
- 4 new inclusive change rooms with unisex amenities and a retractable wall
- 2 new umpire rooms
- a first aid room to allow for better injury management onsite
- a new undercover spectator area
- a new multipurpose room
- a unisex accessible public toilet with internal and external access
- improvements to the kitchen and kiosk areas
- increased storage spaces
- upgrades to the external pavilion lighting for improved safety.
We have carefully considered the proposed design of the upgraded pavilion to make sure it:
- supports our sustainability efforts
- increases accessibility
- complements the character of the area
- is a welcoming, inclusive and useful place for the community.
The location of the function room building and change room pavilion means that there is minimal impact to the existing surrounding eucalyptus trees. However, there are 6 deteriorating eucalyptus trees we will need to remove. There is also one large eucalyptus tree in good health that we will need to remove.
We would offset these removals by planting new trees on the site. We would also install protective fencing around all remaining trees within the construction zone.
We are proposing to remove one car parking space from the car park. This will create better pedestrian access to the playground and pavilion from the car park.
We are proposing to remove the existing barbecue, picnic table and park bench to create space for the new building. One picnic table next to the playground will remain.