About the southern end of Creswick Street
Since February 2021, important sewer replacement works at the southern end of Creswick Street in Hawthorn have been underway. Due to these required works, the road has been closed between the one-way Burwood Road access point and Denham Street. The works are scheduled to finish in late 2022.
Opportunity for feedback on the southern end of Creswick Street
During the sewer replacement works, we have received requests from local community members to keep the one-way access from Burwood Road permanently closed. Through the Boroondara Community Plan 2021-31, you also told us that parks and green spaces are a priority.
We have identified an opportunity to explore creating more open space in this area once the sewer works are finished.
Some options may include:
- a partial closure, which would close the one-way section of Creswick Street from Burwood Road to where the existing car parking started.
- a full closure, which would close the length of Creswick Street and existing car parking, from Burwood Road to where Denham Street intersects with Creswick Street.
Map illustrations of full or partial closure options
We are also completing a traffic study with electronic traffic counts in the surrounding streets to better understand the impact this possible permanent closure would have.
Potential outcomes of your feedback
Either a partial or full closure of this section of road would provide a new open space connection between Creswick Street Reserve and Yarra Bank Reserve, which are currently separated by Creswick Street.
A full closure of this section of the street would change the availability of car parking at this location. We are aware there is a range of users who access carparking in this location and we need to consider these needs. As part of both the partial and full closure options, access to and parking in this area would temporarily be permitted for special events, such as the Head of the Yarra.
The access road off Denham Street to the Yarra Bank Reserve playground and Hawthorn Rowing Club site will stay open regardless of the outcome of this consultation.
Have your say
We want to hear what you think about permanently closing the southern end of Creswick Street.
We want to know:
- what advantages and/or disadvantages you see in permanently closing the entry to Creswick Street at Burwood Road
- if you have a preference for the future of this part of Creswick Street. This includes your preference for a partial or full closure to expand the open space. Or, if you want to see this part of Creswick Street returned to its previous condition after works are completed.
Have your say before Sunday 10 July 2022 by completing the survey below.
If there is broad support from the community to permanently close a section of the road (either partial or full) and Council approves, we will:
- complete a second round of consultation to help us shape our design for the open space.
- work with a heritage consultant to make sure any open space design supports the heritage character of the area.