About the project
We have renewed the local playground at Mary MacKillop Reserve in Surrey Hills to improve the play experience for all children.
Construction started in April 2023 and was completed in October 2023.
You can find information about this project on our Boroondara website's Mary MacKillop Reserve playground page.
From late May 2022, our community shared memories, stories and ideas for the new playground to help shape a draft design.
Our community then provided feedback on the draft design from late June to July 2022.
We heard that our community:
- love the castle theme and would like to keep this
- want to see play options for younger and older children
- like the existing rockers
- would like to see some more informal recreation opportunities for children to take part in.
Thank you to everyone who shared their feedback. Your feedback has shaped the design for this new playground.
How community feedback informed the design
We made changes to the draft design based on your feedback.
For older children, the final design includes:
- the existing metal castle tops, which will be updated and included on the new castle play unit
- a taller section of the castle-themed play unit with a climbing net and large tube slide
- refurbished swings with 2 strap seats
- monkey bars.
For younger children, the final design includes:
- an improved toddler end of the castle play unit with a double slide, shop front and cubby play
- updated rockers
- updated swings with 2 toddler seats.
Other features of the new playground for children of all ages include:
- a netball hoop
- nature play.
We also added 3 new park benches and an upgraded picnic table as part of this playground renewal. The new furniture meets accessibility requirements, whilst also reflecting the appropriate heritage character of the neighbourhood.
Our final design
You can learn about the final playground design by selecting the Hotspots below.