Proposed Local Law 2021
The Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law is due to expire on 1 September 2021.
We want to renew the Local Law to reflect current issues and challenges within Boroondara, as well as legislative changes that have happened since this law was introduced in 2011.
The proposed Local Law 2021 aims to:
- protect Council assets from damage caused by building work
- protect the health and safety of any person who works or enters building sites
- protect the health and safety of any person who resides near or passes by building sites
- protect the amenity of any person who resides near or passes by building sites
- provide for the administration and enforcement of this Local Law, and
- provide for the peace, order and good governance of the municipality.
Key changes to the Local Law
The proposed Local Law 2021 introduces some key changes to the current Local Law 2011, including:
- new clauses to address concerns around building sites
- plain language so it can be more easily understood
- an increase in the number of infringements and their penalties
- a widening of responsibility for breaches of the Local Law.
To understand how these changes affect you, read the Community Impact Statement in the Document library on the right-hand side of this page.
Have your say
We’d like to hear from you before the proposed Local Law 2021 is considered for adoption by Council.
Please complete our short survey below.
Consultation is open for 28 days from Thursday 1 July to Thursday 29 July 2021. Council Officers will consider all submissions before making further recommendations.
We encourage you to read the information in the Document library on this page. You can also view these in person at City of Boroondara customer service counter at 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell, during business hours.
You’re welcome to ask us for more information, make submissions and provide feedback until 29 July 2021. If you choose to make a written submission, you can also request to speak at the Council Meeting on 23 August 2021 where the proposed Local Law 2021 will be considered.