We have finalised the design to upgrade the pavilion at Canterbury Sports Ground.
Construction is expected to start in early 2024, after the community and sporting clubs gave feedback on the draft design. You can find updates on this project on the Boroondara website Canterbury Sports Ground pavilion renewal page.
About the upgrade
We are upgrading the pavilion to create a better experience for the community and local sports clubs, including:
- Canterbury Cricket Club
- Canterbury Football Club
- Canterbury Junior Football Club.
Upgrades to the existing pavilion include:
- a modern design to update the building’s look and feel
- new facilities to support the groups who use the pavilion, such a first aid room
- ramps for wheelchairs, prams and other mobility devices
- renewed pathways and better connections between the pavilion and key features of the park
- more inclusive changerooms and bathrooms, including adding cubicles.
These changerooms will have better facilities for women and girls. This is part of our efforts to support and encourage women and girls in sports, through our Diversity, Inclusion and Participation Program.
The upgrades are in line with our Development and Funding of Community Pavilions – Sport and Recreation Policy and our Boroondara Community Plan 2021–2031.
About the consultation and what we heard
In April and May 2023 we asked the community for feedback on the draft design, developed in collaboration with local sports clubs.
We received low engagement and mixed support from the 24 community members who provided feedback:
Most respondents were local to the sports ground and lived in Canterbury and Surrey Hills. We heard from an even mix of men and women. Many were involved in local cricket or were using the playground or park for walks.
- "Design looks great, an improvement is welcome."
- "Great to see the pavilion will be made accessible and inclusive."
- "Public toilet is welcome for park users."
- "Support removing gas services."
The final design
In response to community feedback, we updated the design by:
- adding more native vegetation with a new landscaped area (grassy swale drain) along the Chatham Road entrance
- retaining the existing drinking tap
- adding a new pathway with landscaping, connecting Chatham Road to the pavilion.
You can find out more about the design on our Boroondara website Canterbury Sports Ground pavilion renewal page.
Floor plan of the new pavilion
Select the hotspots below to learn more.